I'm writing this article to go over a few of the big DO NOTS with regards to strategy and list making. Our local escalation league gives me lots of material for this article as there is bound to be a few guys who do the DO NOTS and don't know it. I'm just gonna be lazy and list them in no particuliar order....
1. DO NOT take a dreadnought that you intend to walk across the battlefield. This never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever works. Give the poor bastards a drop pod or resign them to sit in buildings and shoot(like rifle and psyfleman dreads).
2. DO NOT take a generic captain over a chaplain or reclusiarch EVER! A lot of you may read this and thing I'm wrong or try to justify your pretty little captains..I'm not, you are... it's stupid. Honour of the Chapter(fearlessness) and Liturgies of Battle(rerolls to hit or preferred enemy depending on Codex) is much better than any combination of wargear you can give a lame captain even with orbital bombardment. Space Wolves don't have captains so don't troll me. Stop the captain making crap it's noob.
3. DO NOT make a bunch of terminator HQ's unless you are a Grey Knight general. They don't have grenades people. Need I say more?
4. DO NOT take a librarian with Gate of the Infinity or the big pie plate...both of them will get you killed. It's retarded to commit suicide on the battlefield.
5. DO NOT even start a game until you have studied the table set-up and terrain.
6. DO NOT even think about deploying until you have read and understand your enemies' army list.
7. DO NOT finish any of your phases without double checking that all units performed their necessary actions. Put Simply...make sure you move everything that needs to be moved before shooting, then double check that you shot everything or ran everything you needed to before assaulting and then make damn sure that you declare ALL of your assaults at once.
8. DO NOT argue with General Oadius.
9. DO NOT give up on Warhammer 40,000.
10. DO NOT build a list without counting your Kill Points.
Ok...I think that's enough for now. I know this isn't the most objective and constructive criticism you'll ever receive but I don't give a shit. TILL NEXT TIME...PLAY WELL, ROLL BETTER!